Every Japanese chefs take a lifelong quest for perfect Dashi : Japanese soup stock. It is an absolute fundamental of Japanese food, which can be prepared by surprisingly simple steps, yet requires deep understanding of the stock ingredients and right cooking timing. In this class, you will learn the most common 4 stock ingredients and how to make Awase dashi : Fish based stock and Kombu dashi : Vegetarian stock. The class also covers recipes that can make the most of the Dashi flavour. This class will be a perfect first step to open the door to Japanese cuisine for those who would love to cook delicious miso soup as well as to Japanese food lovers who want to explore Umami world.
* Kombu & Shiitake Mushroom stock to be used for Vegetarian option upon request.
Class Duration : 2.5 - 3 hours
Time / Date :
What you will learn;
- How to prepare and cook two types of Dashi stock : Awase Dashi and Kombu
- Dashi Stock ingredients : Katsuobushi / Kombu / Shiitake
- Primary Japanese ingredients : Soy sauce / Sake / Mirin / Miso
- How to cook Miso Soup
- How to cook Osumashi (Clear soup)
- How to cook Chawan Mushi (Savoury egg custard soup)
- A shortcut of Dashi stock
The class is designed to be fully hands-on, catering an intimate group of up to 6 people. The course covers the various traditional cooking techniques and introduction of unique ingredients followed by a sit down meal of the prepared food and complementary Onigiri : rice balls of the day. Detailed recipes will be provided.
- Miso Soup
- Osumashi : Clear Broth
- Chawan Mushi : Savoury egg custard soup
- Rice ball of the day
Dashi Stock 101
- Cancellations are not refundable.
- Confirmed booking may be transferred to another equivalent class if more than 7 days’ notice is given in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or here.
- Confirmed bookings can be transferred to another person at any time prior to commencing a class in writing to email@example.com or here.
- Chika’s reserves the right to alter or cancel a class without notice. A full refund, or new voucher for those who booked using a voucher, will be given in the event that the class is cancelled.
- Registration is required 10 minutes before commencement of class.
- We do our best to accommodate certain dietary requirements, however it is not possible to meet all the requirements within a particular class structure. If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact us prior to booking.